Thursday, September 27, 2012

What to Juice?

After I decided I wanted to start juicing I did a little research on different juicers, purchased one, and was all set to go. There was just one thing, what do I juice?

I knew that I could juice most fruits and vegetables, but I was a total newb and didn't want to come up with my own concoction without any previous experience. So, I decided I'd start off with something tried and true. I knew that in the documentary Joe talked about drinking just green juice. I did a little investigating, and found out Joe had a website with a bunch of information on juicing fruits and vegetables, as well as various recipes. On the site I found out that the juice he drank in the movie was called Mean Green juice. I looked up the recipe, purchased the ingredients, and was ready to go. 

When I was preparing it for the first time I started thinking I probably should've started off with a plain orange or apple juice. The kale (leafy greens packed full of nutrients) had me worried, but I had made it this far and I wasn't turning back now. I went ahead and made the juice, poured it over ice, and had my first drink. I was relieved. It certainly wasn't the best drink I'd ever had, but it wasn't the worst, either. It was better than I was expecting and I knew that I'd get used to it over time. 

Here I am months later and I still drink the Mean Green on a regular basis. I've experimented with a lot of other juice combinations, but the Mean Green is still one that I go back to regularly. And, just as I expected, I've developed a taste for it as well. I find it to be refreshing and energizing. Here's the recipe, along with before and after pics as well.

Mean Green Juice Recipe

  • 6-8 leaves of kale
  • 4 stalks of celery
  • 1/2 lemon (peeled)
  • 2 Granny Smith apples
  • 1 cucumber (peel if it isn't organic)
  • 1 THUMB size of ginger





      


            As Joe Cross says...


        Juice On!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try to make it this weekend (the right way!) I was wondering which apples to use as there are so many kinds so thank you for clarifying that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original recipe calls for the Granny Smith apples that I mentioned, but I made it once with Golden Delicious apples and I think I actually liked it more. Don't be afraid to make adjustments to the recipes, tinker with them until you find one that suits your tastes.

    ReplyDelete