Monday, December 3, 2012

Cleaning Your Juicer

This post probably could've been combined with my most recent one, but I decided to give the topic of cleaning juicers its own section because it's something that has been inquired about. Also, I'm sure that if many people were to say what the most frustrating thing about juicing is for them, then I'm guessing a pretty common response would be "cleaning the juicer." This is understandable. We've already been through the process of acquiring, prepping, and juicing our fruits and vegetables. Now we have a delicious, healthy, big glass of nutrients to drink, and there's nothing we'd rather do than sit back, relax, and enjoy the fruits of our labor, literally. There's just one thing, that big, dirty, juicer sitting in the kitchen staring back at us.

Much like the title of my last post, cleaning a juicer, takes some effort. The good thing is that a few tips can save a little time and make the cleaning process a little bit easier. All juicers are different, so the specific cleaning steps might vary some, depending on the juicer, but the basics are the same. I decided to do a little searching on the subject before writing the post, just to make sure there weren't any gems that I didn't already know about. I came across a video on cleaning a juicer, and was surprised to see that the juicer in the video appears to be the same juicer that I own. So, I figured instead of telling you my step by step guide to cleaning a juicer, I could just show you the video instead.

One thing I saw in the video that I haven't been doing was using a small pipe-cleaning brush to clean the pour spout on my juicer. I'll definitely start doing this because this is one area that I've noticed a bit of a build-up occurring.

I have just a couple of tips that the video doesn't mention: It's best to clean the juicer shortly after using it. I've made the mistake several times of waiting too long after making my juices to clean my juicer, and it's something I've always regretted, because it doesn't clean up near as easily. Another thing I usually do is put a plastic bag in the area that catches the pulp. That area is easy to clean, but it's even easier to simply take out the bag full of pulp and discard it without washing a thing (other than the rest of the machine.)

Here's the link to the video about cleaning a juicer. Unfortunately there's a 30 second ad that you're subjected to watching beforehand (man, I hate those things.)

No comments:

Post a Comment